[Outages-discussion] RoadRunner/Bright House cablemodem problems

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Sep 16 18:15:46 EDT 2013

Yes, there was/is an interop issue with how some CMTS and D3 modems dealt
with losing one or more bonded channels.  One of the ways to deal with a
missing service flow was just to reset the CM.  I've seen this feature
described as "cable modem reboot due to partial service" and "cable modem
reboot due to bonding recovery".

The DOCSIS MULPI spec, as written, has a very weak recovery mechanism for
downstream flows that get out of sync. It says that both 2 minutes *and*
1,000 out of order packets have to be passed for a service flow to be
recovered. Cisco CMTS, ARRIS CMTS, and many (most) operators that have
encountered out-of-range (OOR) agree that the MULPI specification is
insufficient in terms of out-of-order downstream flow recovery.  See section
9.2.4 bullet point four of
http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/download/2055956~e8c5b3cd040e9b60a2e56421
526f80b9/365-095-20591_x2.pdf for details.

CM-STATUS messages are supposed to communicate the status of flows, but
earlier versions of one vendor's eMTA firmware did not support CM-STATUS
well. However, this vendor (not Moto) says they haven't had CM-STATUS
interop issues with ARRIS C4 CMTSs and Cisco 10K CMTSs in a couple of years.

Frank