[Outages-discussion] Avoiding puppet/cfengine as the next SPOF

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Jan 25 19:48:03 EST 2014

[ moved to -discuss ]

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Conrad Heiney" <conrad at fringehead.org>

> Centralized configuration is necessary. It is also the new SPOF.

I would assert that if it is, you're not driving it correctly.

Sure, you need it on things as big as the Googleplex.  But that doesn't mean
that you can't use Tom Limoncelli's celebrated "one, few, many, all"
staged deployment approach, when setting up pushes.

In fact, it's *easier*, since you know that they'll all get the same
configuration.

You have to be careful about interdependencies, of course, but that --
again -- is something computers are pretty good at.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra