[Outages-discussion] Fwd: [outages] Charter Voice outage

Mitchell Kuch mitch at basejp.com
Mon Feb 2 10:10:38 EST 2015

The best commentary I received from Charter support indicated:
* RFO - a third party fiber cut in the greater St. Louis area
* All voice traffic with the Missouri phone switch was impacted
* No voice traffic with the Carolina phone switch was impacted
* Unsure what IP/data services were impacted

I believe that the Carolina phone switch is located in (Spartanburg?)
South Carolina. Charter's comments from support are interesting. Based
on the reports I received, this did not impact SIP trunks but did
impact DOCIS MTA lines. Perhaps SIP trunks fail-over between sites?
One can hope.

Comments (on/off list) from the folks on outages also indicated that
IP service was also impacted. Our monitoring didn't indicate any
issues from Michigan - including transactions with Charter's St. Louis
DNS resolver.

 - - Mitchell