[Outages-discussion] [outages] Linode Fremont outage

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Jun 1 14:09:07 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 01:59:31PM -0400, Bill Wichers wrote:
>> It is unfortunately not possible to achieve 100% uptime. All you can do is
>> minimize the chances of an outage.
>
> ... and it should be pointed out every now and then that adding lots and
> lots of stuff for "added redundancy" will eventually lead to "oh, the
> trainee changed something he should not have touched" and the whole house
> of cards collapses...

Yup -- fairly much every network engineer who has deployed HSRP  /
VRRP / <insert favorite vendor acronym for same> has the story of both
devices becoming active, and hilarity ensuing. Or STP having a bad day
and the "redundant" switch link becoming active, etc etc etc.

Often adding redundancy causes more issues than it solves...