[Outages-discussion] Centurylink Arizona fiber cut

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Mar 13 19:53:20 EDT 2015

The author of this article:
http://andrewseybold.com/3539-it-cant-happen-to-me

and I are in discussion over this issue. He stands by the "inspected
mile-by-mile" claim and much of the other hyperbole in the popular press
mentioned in the previous discussion on outages.

>From what I can tell the break occurred around noon local time and there
were crews actively splicing by 6 PM in a location "not easily reached
by vehicle". This doesn't lend much credence to the idea that repair
crews were walking miles of fiber route looking for something
suspicious, nor does it lend credence to the idea that CL only became
aware of a problem when they started getting calls from customers.

Has there been an RFO released or any other available information that
can be shared regarding the actual repair procedure and/or timeline here?

I'm really trying to squash some of the FUD and "Sky is falling"
mentality every time a circuit goes down somewhere.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net