[Outages-discussion] This message was not sent to Spam....

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Mar 3 14:00:07 EST 2016

On 3 Mar 2016, at 13:20, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at gmail.com> wrote:

> Firstly, I know that this list doesn't exist to please Google or any
> other provider.
>
> That said, it seems the prudent thing to do is to not send email that
> appears spammy http://i.imgur.com/xGSAE9M.png

Didn't appear any more spammy to me than most mail on this list, to be honest.

If classifying mail as spam was an exact science, there would be no spam. Since there's spam, we expect mis-classification. Since we expect mis-classification, the extent that we can hope to eliminate it seems small, which I think provides guidance for the amount of effort we should correspondingly put into it.

To put it another way, the collective cost of reading your mail was probably far higher than the individual cost of you noticing that a message might have been sent to the spam folder, but wasn't.

> Surely a few simple steps would help to guarantee deliverablity to the
> widest of audiences.

There are no guarantees. There is only Zuul.

Joe