[Outages-discussion] Unsignificant outages (was:NYC - PINCH)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Sep 20 20:07:53 EDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Skripka, Daniel" <daniel.skripka at centurylink.com>

> RE: Is a single fiber cut really that much of an impact in 2016,  or is it
> really just a normal and expected event that routing was designed to deal with?
>
> Most tier 1 and tier 2 internet service providers have diverse fiber paths, so a
> single fiber cut does not cause more than a few seconds of impact.
>
> There are many tier 3 providers that only have a single path or peer to the
> Internet.
>
> While many businesses have a plan such as using cellular sms or data service, or
> dial/fax for backup, they may not practice or test it every quarter or year.

This is true.

But "*my* internet connection is down" is generally outside the scope of the
list.  You call your carrier, and they fix it.

On the other hand, upper tier providers *often* have not spent enough money
to protect fully-loaded paths, and when they cut over to protect, unexpected
stuff blows to hell -- see also "AWS control plane overloads" from years past.

That stuff is worth both an initial report, and some field reports to allow
people to assemble a mental picture of what might be happening.

But we still want to increase the amount of useful information that's in
all such reports, to push the S/N as high as possible.

Cheers,
-- jr '<moderator/>' a