[Outages-discussion] S3 Outages Postmortem

Kevin Blackham blackham at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 14:17:10 EST 2017

I have some insights, but I'm under NDA. This was big enough I expect some
public disclosure (my words).

I can tell you we observed lots of services affected, not just S3. EBS was
jacking up IO all over the place, and many machines didn't even ping. SES
was quite broken, as was autoscaling. One might conclude it was a network
problem.