[Outages-discussion] Backup internet

Darren Schreiber dschreiber at 2600hz.com
Mon Oct 23 16:20:21 EDT 2017

This is the most evil, and awesome, suggestion I’ve ever seen. Well played, sir, well played.

From: Outages-discussion <outages-discussion-bounces at outages.org> on behalf of Andrew Latham <lathama at gmail.com>
Date: Monday, October 23, 2017 at 1:18 PM
To: "Outages-discussion at outages.org" <Outages-discussion at outages.org>
Subject: Re: [Outages-discussion] Backup internet

This is a common issue. Evil advice is to order an ADA compliant ISDN line for a Teletype. The telco is legally required to install it no questions asked but charge for it $40. In the process they will have to "fix the glitch" that kept them from running DSL in the first place. This was common back in the time of dialup in stopping the use of "slick96s".

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6570

SLC96 (or Slick96)?<http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6570>
A SLC96 (also known as Slick 96) is a Lucent Technologies "pair-gain" system that multiplexes 96 telephone lines onto eight pairs of twisted-pair wires. It is used extensively in the public telephone network to provide telephone service to areas that do not have enough twisted pairs to meet customer needs. The SLC96 actually uses four T1 circuits (24 lines per T1) to achieve the 96-line transport. The SLC96 is configured in a cabinet, one for inside rack-mount central-office use and the other (far end) as an outdoor cabinet. The circuit cards that are incorporated into the SLC96 design are separate and redundant power cards, battery back-up for the remote end, common equipment (control) cards, and a separate card for every two lines that are multiplexed (48-line cards for a full system).