[Outages-discussion] [outages] Facebook Outage

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Aug 3 15:34:20 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 07:20:00PM +0000, Chris Mayhew via Outages wrote:
> I agree that this is the wrong place for application outages, be it Slack, Facebook or Google.  For those who are concerned when these applications go down, it would be more appropriate to start an application outages list.

It is not "wrong place".  It is exactly the right place, according to
the spirit of the list - in particular, the section

  "The purpose of this list is to have a central place to lookup
   and report so that end users & network operators know why their
   services (e-mail, phones, etc) went down eliminating the need to
   open tons of trouble tickets during a major event"

It might have been initially formed for "network outages", but tbh,
"facebook does not work" is going to interest WAY more NOC folks out
there than "I have lost an E1 in southern nowhere".

It might be necessary to rewrite the published charter to explicitely
list "major application outages", if only to avoid this silly repeating
discussion every few months.  Which, given that those that complain are
too inconsiderate to use outages-discussion, creates MORE traffic than
real outages of the past few weeks...

gert