[Outages-discussion] CenturyLink Outages this morning

Erik Wooding erik.wooding at wework.com
Thu Dec 27 22:05:48 EST 2018

They're definitely lost. Last troubleshoot was a card issue in Denver which
didn't change anything.

These are the updates from the ticket we have with them if anyone isn't
getting these.

2018-12-28 02:02:14 GMT - Once the card was removed in Denver, CO it was
confirmed that there was no significant improvement. Additional packet
captures, and logs will be pulled from the device with the card removed to
further isolate the root cause. The Equipment vendor continues to work with
CenturyLink Field Operations at multiple sites to remove the secondary
communication channel tunnel across the network until full visibility can
be restored. The equipment vendor has identified a number of additional
nodes that visibility has been restored to, and their engineers are
currently working to apply the necessary filter to each of the reachable
nodes.

2018-12-28 01:03:11 GMT - Following the review of the logs and packet
captures, the Equipment Vendor驴s Tier IV Support team has identified a
suspected card issue in Denver, CO.驴驴Field Operations has arrived on site
and are working in cooperation with the Equipment Vendor to remove the
card.

2018-12-28 00:01:53 GMT - The Equipment Vendor is currently reviewing the
logs and packet captures from devices that have been completed, while logs
and packet captures continue to be pulled from additional devices. The
necessary teams continue to remove a secondary communication channel tunnel
across the network until visibility can be restored. All technical teams
continue to diligently work to review the information obtained in an effort
to isolate the root cause.

2018-12-27 22:58:43 GMT - Multiple teams continue work to pull additional
logs and packet captures on devices that have had visibility restored,
which will be scrutinized during root cause analysis. The Tier IV Equipment
Vendor Technical Support team in conjunction with Field Operations are
working to remove a secondary communication channel tunnel across the
network until visibility can be restored. The Equipment Vendor Support team
has dispatched their Field Operations team to the site in Chicago, IL and
has been obtaining data directly from the equipment.

2018-12-27 21:36:58 GMT - It has been advised that visibility has been
restored to both the Chicago, IL and Atlanta, GA sites. Engineering and
Tier IV Equipment Vendor Technical Support are currently working to obtain
additional logs from devices across multiple sites including Chicago and
Atlanta to further isolate the root cause.

2018-12-27 20:19:36 GMT - Tier IV Equipment Vendor Technical Support
continues to work with CenturyLink Field Operations and Engineering to
restore visibility and apply the filter to devices in Atlanta, GA and
Chicago, IL. While those efforts are ongoing additional logs have been
pulled from the devices in Kansas City, MO and New Orleans, LA following
the restoral of visibility and the necessary filter application to obtain
additional pertinent information now that the device is remotely
accessible.

2018-12-27 19:30:01 GMT - Spoke with Sean advised we were seeing system
reestored he verified and advised his other circuit is showing restored at
the same time as this circuit Related to nationwide outage. adding to
parent ticket Sean request we leave this ticket open until they are
handsoff please when you are available could you send us your traceroutes
thank you

2018-12-27 19:17:01 GMT - Efforts to regain visibility to sites in Atlanta,
GA and Chicago, IL remain ongoing. Once visibility has been restored the
filter will be applied to limit communication traffic between sites which
was causing CPU spikes that in turn prevented the devices from functioning
properly.

2018-12-27 18:13:33 GMT - The equipment vendor驴s Tier IV Technical Support
team continued to investigate the equipment logs to further assist with
isolation. Field Operations were dispatched to multiple sites to
investigate equipment in Kansas City, MO, New Orleans, LA, as well as
Atlanta, GA. It has been advised that a controller card has been stabilized
in New Orleans, LA restoring visibility to the equipment to allow
additional investigations to continue. A filter was then applied to
equipment in Kansas City, MO that further alleviated the impact observed.
Investigations remain ongoing to further restore network services.

2018-12-27 15:46:56 GMT - Following the isolation of a node in San Antonio,
TX that alleviated some of the impact the necessary teams have shifted
troubleshooting focus to additional nodes experiencing issues. A node in
Atlanta, GA as well as a site in New Orleans, LA are currently being
investigated.

2018-12-27 14:44:42 GMT - Field Operations dispatched to various locations
to troubleshoot cooperatively with the equipment vendor. During cooperative
troubleshooting, a device in San Antonio, TX was seeming to broadcast
traffic consuming capacity and impacting other nodes in the network. The
node was isolated from the network, which appears to have alleviated some
impact; however, troubleshooting efforts continue to restore all impacted
services. We understand how important these services are to our clients and
the issue has been escalated to the highest levels within CenturyLink
Service Assurance Leadership.

2018-12-27 13:50:05 GMT - On December 27, 2018 at 02:40 GMT, CenturyLink
identified a service impact in various locations. The NOC engaged to begin
investigations. The NOC engaged Tier IV Vendor Support to assist in
troubleshooting and fault isolation efforts. The NOC engaged Field
Operations to cooperatively troubleshoot. Field Operations arrived on site
in Denver, CO. Field Operations dispatched additional technicians to Kansas
City, MO and Omaha, NE. The NOC is continuing to cooperatively troubleshoot
with Tier IV Vendor Support for a site in San Antonio, TX.

2018-12-27 13:14:12 GMT - Field Operations has arrived on site at the
Denver location.

2018-12-27 12:49:55 GMT - The NOC has engaged Tier IV Vendor Support to
assist in troubleshooting efforts.

2018-12-27 12:31:34 GMT - Field Operations has dispatched a second
technician to another site to assist with troubleshooting and fault
isolation efforts. An ETA of 13:30 GMT has been provided.

2018-12-27 12:21:46 GMT - The NOC has engaged Field Operations to assist in
troubleshooting and fault isolation efforts. An ETA of 13:15 GMT has been
provided.

 2018-12-27 11:57:40 GMT - On December 27, 2018 at 02:40 GMT, CenturyLink
identified a service impact in New Orleans, LA. The NOC is engaged and
investigating in order to isolate the cause. Please be advised that updates
for this event will be relayed at a minimum of hourly unless otherwise
noted. The information conveyed hereafter is associated to live
troubleshooting effort and as the discovery process evolves through to
service resolution, ticket closure, or post incident review, details may
evolve.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 6:59 PM Biddle, Josh <JBiddle at ntst.com> wrote:

> Thanks.  This is one for the books I guess.  I just got in to work a few
> hours ago so I am playing catch up.  It sounds to me like they still don’t
> know what happened.  In that thread I see multiple reports of circuits
> going into loopback.  I’m guessing this is CL’s way of trying to segregate
> parts of their core infrastructure in attempt to kill whatever is
> broadcasting and reconverge their network.  It sounds like they still have
> not figured out the root cause.
>

> Anyone have any thoughts or updates?

*WeWork | Erik Wooding*
Manager of Network Engineering, US & Canada West, Latin America
O: 917-810-9345
wework.com <http://www.wework.com>

Create Your Life's Work

Get rewarded for good ideas and good people!
Apply for funding at creatorawards.wework.com or
help grow the community at refer.wework.com