[Outages-discussion] [outages] Verizon Wireless

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Sat Mar 3 13:35:15 EST 2018

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 1:29 PM Matt Hoppes <
mattlists at rivervalleyinternet.net> wrote:

> “Verizon has not said what causes the outage”.
>
> That’s disconcerting considering all the redundancy that should be built
> into things.

Perhaps, but there is a reasonable chance that the redundancy contributed
to the issues. Charles Perrows “Normal Accidents” (
https://www.amazon.com/Normal-Accidents-Living-High-Risk-Technologies/dp/0691004129
)
is a great read on how complex systems fail.

> > On Mar 3, 2018, at 11:06, <frnkblk at iname.com> <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
> >
> > More here:
> > http://wnep.com/2018/03/02/widespread-verizon-wireless-service-outage/
> >
> > Frank

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf