[Outages-discussion] [outages] PINCH Re: Slack Outage?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon May 21 17:50:52 EDT 2018

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Scott Whyte" <swhyte at gmail.com>

>>     Sure.  I just agree with the reporter that we didn't need 25 of
>>     them.  :-)

>> We have over 30,000 employees on Slack, so I certainly don't mind
>> seeing it mentioned. But, yeah, we probably didn't need any more "me,
>> too" replies after the official Slack status link was posted.  :)
>
> That would be ideal, but that last time I read any SMTP RFC, there are
> no time guarantees for delivery, so its just a big race condition that
> gets worse with every subscriber.

And "please don't" doesn't scale as well as you'd like.

Well, the list is *generally* not moderated for reasons that are discussed
in depth on the wiki, and we'd need a dozen moderators to get good coverage
if we did...

In the long run, I think it's going to remain a race between in-situ
moderation, and people deciding they can't use it the way they'd like.

Luckily, the group most likely to bail are also the group most likely
to be able to figure out how to procmail the incoming list before it
hits their phone.

Cheers,
-- jra