[Outages-discussion] [outages] Problems With Google?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 13 02:56:30 EST 2018

Moin,

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 10:29:10PM -0600, frnkblk at iname.com wrote:
> https://blog.thousandeyes.com/internet-vulnerability-takes-down-google/
>
> Good blog entry on the event.  Was hoping to see Dyn (now Oracle) or BGPmon (OpenDNS => now Cisco) and QRrator to chime in, but haven???t seen anything from them, yet.

What I find surprising here is: the *same* prefixes are announced over a
+3 AS longer AS path (instead of a more-specific prefix).

So for BGP to actually prefer this significantly longer path (especially
given the average path length to google for most ISPs) someone would have
to be messing with local-preference...

Did I mention that changing local-preference on peerings and uplinks
usually is a bad idea?  "This is a good example why"...

gert