[Outages-discussion] Spectrum VoIP/Mikrotik routers/bitcoin mining malware

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Oct 18 10:47:14 EDT 2018

I'm curious: how many of our readers (on this list, at least) have VoN (Voice
over Internet) service from Spectrum, do you have a red-box Microtik router as
the edge device for the service, and have you been told they'll need to
"upgrade" or replace that router soon?

I know there's a thing with those routers, and with some Russian hacker
breaking into them to secure them:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/a-mysterious-grey-hat-is-patching-peoples-outdated-mikrotik-routers/

And I have one client myself, who apparently heard something about an "upgrade"
from Spectrum; I'm curious if this is a wide-scale thing.

Cheers,
-- jra