[Outages-discussion] [outages] Facebook

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Mon Sep 3 22:22:46 EDT 2018

> On Sep 3, 2018, at 5:34 PM, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at domainmail.org> wrote:
>
> On September 3, 2018 9:09:54 PM UTC, Jay Farrell via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:
>> Seems to be worldwide, judging by the disqus comments pouring in
>> (dozens
>> per minute) at downdetector.com. Went down for me in Philadelphia at
>> ~4:45
>> PM EDT
>
> I wonder if it's related to this:
>
> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2018-September/100666.html <https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2018-September/100666.html>

If I follow this, then that would indicate that the people yammering about this on the main outages list are all running desktop linux, which I kind of doubt. :)

The only datapoint I can provide is I’m in NJ, on VZ FiOS and did not see anything unusual on visiting FB at the time the outage was reported.  Some other poster helpfully made the blanket statement that “Facebook down in NJ/NY”, with no mention of where that data comes from, or if self-reporting who that person’s ISP is.

This list is super-helpful - it’s good to know why people start banging on the support line, but I do wonder about some of these follow-on messages and why the loudest posters tend to have the least interesting information.

And thank you very much for peeling your comment off to the -discussion list.