[Outages-discussion] Azure Postmortem

Joelle Maslak jmaslak at antelope.net
Wed Sep 12 13:59:04 EDT 2018

The last time I was responsible for a data center, 15 years ago, different
job, I can attest this happens FAST. Data center was new, had shiny AC
systems, backup power, redundancy, etc. it was 20% occupied. “Redundant” AC
units all tripped off (bug in vendor implementation). It went from 70F to
115F in about 5 minutes (I don’t know what happened after that because the
power unit the monitor was connected to tripped at that point but being
some areas of the DC still had power, I imagine it kept rising). We lost a
bunch of disks.