[Outages-discussion] Outages vs Outages-Discussion

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Wed Dec 11 22:51:31 EST 2019

I certainly do not expect replies to my outages@ posts will end up going
to outages-discussion at .  This is not intuitive.  No mailing list I've
used for the past 30 years has behaved that way.  Usenet also did not
behave that way.  Web forums/threads do not behave that way.

I often refer coworkers and colleagues to outages@ threads (via the
Mailman archive web interface) when there are reported problems.  To
tell people "if you want to read the replies to that issue, you'll need
to visit a different URL of the OTHER list, which is..." is bizarre.
Nobody will take such a list seriously.

In summary, I am against the Reply-To recommendation.  That said:

I am very much in favour of solving the actual problem, which I believe
is of a social nature.  We should not be trying to solve bad list
netiquette via technological hoops.  Instead, I suggest direct action by
list moderators: lecture those who don't understand proper list
etiquette, and yank the subs of (and blacklist) repeat offenders.

Yes, the problem we're discussing will keep happening as new people join
the list (and don't read list rules or follow proper netiquette), but
that's life.  More than ever today people need reminded of RFC 1855.  Its
age doesn't matter; much of its content still applies.

I think the SNR overall on these lists is tolerable, barring outages of
"major entities" (ex. Google, FB, etc.).  During such times, I expect
increased noise, albeit briefly (e.g. for the day).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                 jdc at koitsu.org |
| UNIX Systems Administrator                      PGP 0x2A389531 |