[Outages-discussion] [outages] Google network issues

Bryan Holloway bryan at shout.net
Tue Jun 4 21:53:28 EDT 2019

On 6/4/19 8:47 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> On 6/4/19 5:51 PM, Matt Hoppes wrote:
>> Who makes critical changes in the middle of a day on Sunday to core
>> infrastructure?
>>

> A lot of people that run networks that don't have an "off peak" where
> it's always going to be someone's daytime in some timezone.

And furthermore, one provider's off-peak is another's on. Our $eyeballs
are predominantly students, so in the middle of the day on Sunday is
when they're passed out or hungover from Jaeger Bombs and Jello Shots
and not gaming or bingeing Netflix. Perfect timing for upgrades (with
proper notification, of course.)