[Outages-discussion] [outages] Comcast/Xfinity outage

jrk1231-outml at nym.hush.com jrk1231-outml at nym.hush.com
Thu Jun 4 20:27:15 EDT 2020

I agree that it has become next to impossible to get carriers to
commit to physical routing diversity. I always used to recommend that
clients have their SLA written such that the simultaneous failure of
all routing paths would carry a substantial financial penalty (far
larger than probable actual customer loss). However, many carriers
won't even make any guarantee of physical routing independence. Thus,
I have resorted to recommending that clients use multiple carriers who
do not share common backhaul or peering. Not perfect nor cheap, but I
haven't found a better solution. And, it pays to regularly monitor
routings on each link, and attempt to identify when it appears that
connections are flowing between the same intermediate cities -- which
is often an indication of a common network path in my experience.

--
Jon R. Kibler
Blog: Real World Cyber Security
> From: "Frank Bulk"

> Hard to believe a truck going down an alley took out several states,
but that’s
> what these articles appear to indicate:
>
> https://week.com/2020/06/03/comcast-down-throughout-the-area/
>
> https://www.wcia.com/news/internet-outage-hits-midwest/

This seems like an excellent time to revisit the difficulty any
end-user
customer has getting physical routings out of their carrier, so they
can
manage their own physical diversity; I've always sort of assumed it
was just
to hide the fact carriers don't themselves know what goes where
anymore.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink
jra at baylink.com
Designer                     The Things I Think
RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates       http://www.bcp38.info          2000 Land
Rover DII
St Petersburg FL USA      BCP38: Ask For It By Name!           +1 727
647 1274