[Outages-discussion] Akamai DNS outage?

Mike Thompson mike at rcsnc.org
Thu Jul 22 16:01:03 EDT 2021

We use the Akamai DNS service and received the outage messages below from
them. It did not appear to affect us.

*[18:30 UTC on July 22, 2021] Update:*

Akamai experienced a disruption with our DNS service on July 22, 2021. The
disruption began at 15:45 UTC and lasted for approximately one hour.
Affected customer sites were significantly impacted for connections that
were not established before the incident began.

Our teams identified that a change made in a mapping component was causing
the issue, and in order to mitigate it we rolled the change back at
approximately 16:44 UTC. We can confirm this was not a cyberattack against
Akamai's platform. Immediately following the rollback, the platform
stabilized and DNS services resumed normal operations. At this time the
incident is resolved, and we are monitoring to ensure that traffic remains
stable.

*[16:50 UTC on July 22, 2021] Mitigated:*

We can confirm that the issue is now mitigated as of 16:44 UTC on July 22,
2021 and no longer occurring.

We have implemented a fix for this issue and based on current observations,
the service is resuming normal operations. We will continue to monitor to
ensure that the impact has been fully mitigated.

We apologize for the impact and thank you for your patience and continued
support. We are committed to making continuous improvements to make our
systems better and prevent recurrence. If you have further questions,
please post them on  https://community.akamai
.com/customers/s/feed/0D54R00008406MzSAI.

*[16:22 UTC on July 22, 2021] In-Progress:*

We are aware of an emerging issue where customers are experiencing DNS
failures on their websites. We are actively investigating the issue and
will provide another update within the next 60 minutes. If you have
questions or are experiencing impact due to this issue, please contact
Akamai Technical Support.
In the interest of time, we are providing you the most current information
available, which is subject to changes, corrections, and updates.*[16:22
UTC on July 22, 2021] In-Progress:*

We are aware of an emerging issue where customers are experiencing DNS
failures on their websites. We are actively investigating the issue and
will provide another update within the next 60 minutes. Please view the
"Notifications" section on the Control Center home page for further updates.

In the interest of time, we are providing you the most current information
available, which is subject to changes, corrections, and updates.

 Michael Thompson
 WAN/LAN Engineer
 Director of Technical Services
 Rutherford County Schools
 Office Phone (Direct): 828-288-2442
 Fax: 828-453-8291
 E-mail: mike at rcsnc.org

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 3:52 PM Andy Ringsmuth <andy at andyring.com> wrote:

> Surprised I haven’t see any mention of it here yet.
>

> https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/22/several-major-websites-go-down-in-widespread-internet-outage.html
>

> https://www.the-sun.com/news/3331697/fedex-ups-airbnb-delta-airlines-website-down-outrage/
>

> https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/widespread-outage-disrupts-major-retail-financial-travel-websites-worldwide/3168859/
>

> ----
> Andy Ringsmuth
> 5609 Harding Drive
> Lincoln, NE 68521-5831
> (402) 304-0083
> andy at andyring.com
>
> “Better even die free, than to live slaves.” - Frederick Douglas, 1863

"All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure
to third parties, including law enforcement."