[Outages-discussion] [outages] not quite an outage, more a hack, "Urgent: Threat actor in systems" emails from FBI infrastructure

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Nov 13 12:29:09 EST 2021

I'm re-routing my reply to outages-discussion instead of the original
outages mailing list.  --  I'm CCing John in case he doesn't subscribe
to outages-discussion.

On 11/13/21 9:56 AM, John Sage via Outages wrote:
> Is anyone besides me now receiving three (or here four) identical posts
> to the list with identical time stamps?

Yes.

I received five copies of the message.  All of the messages had the same
Message-ID.

Tracing the Received: headers, it seems like the message was a duplicate
all the way up to mx00.postal00.hostinfr.com.  I see the first new
(E)SMTP(S) id at puck.nether.net.

So, it seems to me like the duplication happened between ...hostinfr.com
and ...nether.net.

I've not implemented a duplicate message ID filter for the Outages
mailing list.  But perhaps I should.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die