[Outages-discussion] [outages] Facebook Down

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Oct 4 20:07:16 EDT 2021

On 10/4/21 10:01, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> On 10/4/21 9:41 AM, Jay Hennigan wrote:
>> Reports that Facebook mobile app is unaffected. DNS related.
>

> Neither Facebook nor Instagram mobile apps work for me on my normal AS
> (11170) or switching to mobile data (Verizon). App reports "no internet
> connection".

Yeah, indeed the apps were definitely broken. It looks like the apps
cache a boatload of content on the device, so the app would appear to
load initially but with stale content and no ability to update.

Users would open the app on their phone, see their news feed page, and
assume it was OK. Once they actually tried to use the app to post
something or surf around it became obvious that it was broken. Web
breakage was much more obvious.

Jay Hennigan - jay at west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
503 897-8550 - WB6RDV