[Outages-discussion] [EXTERNAL] Re: [outages] SSL rollover - Let's Encrypt etc

Chapman, Brad (NBCUniversal) Brad.Chapman at nbcuni.com
Sun Oct 10 17:33:24 EDT 2021

Some applications will ignore the expired root cert, but others will need some help.

The problematic cert is DST Root CA X3.  Its replacement is ISRG Root X1.

I filed an issue on the github repo for one developer’s app.  For some baffling reason he still includes openssl libraries from 2015, even though other parts have been updated more recently.

For Windows users, you delete the DST X3 cert from your trusted root store.  For Mac users, one workaround is to manually edit the file /etc/ssl/cert.pem.  Here are abbreviated instructions on stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/69413675

The simplest fix is to delete the expired root certificate from the /etc/ssl/cert.pem file, assuming its replacement already exists in the file. This is enough to fix the expired DST Root CA X3, because its replacement, ISRG Root X1 already exists in the /etc/ssl/cert.pem file. Delete all lines from ### Digital Signature Trust Co. to -----END CERTIFICATE-----

—Sent from my iPhone