[Outages-discussion] [outages] YouTube to force 2FA for monetized accounts next month - Gmail

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Oct 21 09:18:10 EDT 2021

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 18:56 Jay R. Ashworth via Outages <
outages at outages.org> wrote:

> Or something very close to that.
>

> https://9to5google.com/2021/08/24/youtube-2-step-verification-requirement
>
> Directly, that's not necessarily a big thing, but if you have a gmail
> account
> associated with the YT account -- as they forced some years back -- and
> you've
> forgotten about that, devices may not be able to send or receive email
> through
> that account anymore either, and it's not clear whether you can turn 2FA
> back
> off for such accounts, or de-associate them from the YT account.

There’s Application Passwords/App Passwords for that. Googles version of an
access token. You probably already have the enable less secure applications
stuff on in order to even access the account outside of the browser based
options that Google offers.

It’s a little annoying and for those not used to using APIs that use things
like OAuth it’s non obvious  but it is an escape hatch for anything that
needs access with a traditional static password.

The only thing about App Passwords that drives me bonkers is you can’t
scope them. For me I’d rather be able to restrict what an App Password has
access to.

> I know this will break things as I had a client turn on 2FA for an account
> few months back, and their copier stopped being able to mail scans to
> people.
>
> A low-impact problem... unless you have it.  And can't figure out why.
>
> Replies to -discuss, as usual.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
>
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink
> jra at baylink.com
> Designer                     The Things I Think                       RFC
> 2100
> Ashworth & Associates       http://www.bcp38.info          2000 Land
> Rover DII
> St Petersburg FL USA      BCP38: Ask For It By Name!           +1 727 647
> 1274

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler