[Outages-discussion] [outages] Fwd: Your Bandwidth support ticket is updated (Connection issue on trunk)

DaZZa dazzagibbs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 18:44:05 EDT 2021

You might be jesting, but this does raise an interesting philosophical
discussion point.

With so much core voice infrastructure - including emergency calls -
moving to a VoIP base, how much greater is the risk of loss of
service?

I admit to being an old school telco tech in the dim, dark past - and
the idea that some foreign actor could disrupt phone service to such a
scale in the days of PoTS was ridiculous. Gross physical events yes -
but even massive general power outages weren't a problem because (at
least down here in Australia), any exchange bigger than 100 lines or
so had both extensive battery and generator backup suitable for days
of operation.

With a significant percentage of infrastructure now in third party
DC's run by "We don't really care, just give us your money" type
companies who appear to take....casual observance of things like
backup power amd environmental services, and situations where someone
in (insert bad actor country of your choice) can marshall a botnet of
massive proportions, where does the line between critical
functionality and convenience/cost get drawn?

D - musing in the morning is never good for the digestion.

On Sun, 26 Sept 2021 at 09:37, Rusty Dekema <rdekema at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe it's the work of pro-TDM, anti-VoIP extremists. ;)
>
> -Rusty
>
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 7:08 PM Peter Beckman via Outages
> <outages at outages.org> wrote:
> >
> > Our monitoring first detected the issue at 3:00:03pm US EDT (19:00:03 UTC)
> > and we detected recovery starting at 5:47:49pm US EDT (21:47:49 UTC) for a
> > total outage of 2h 47m.
> >
> > When I first called at 3:07pm the TAC was not aware of any issues. I opened
> > a ticket at 3:15pm and the status page was first updated at 3:31pm. Quite a
> > delay.
> >
> > Thanks for posting this, Bruce! I look forward to the COE/RFO, how it was
> > mitigated, and how they hope to reduce the impact of DDoS attacks in the
> > future.
> >
> > After this and the VoIP.ms DDoS, it begs the question who the bad actors
> > are and what their goals are. Infrastructure attack? Misdirection?
> > Telephony attack to end-around TFA for targeted individuals? US Government
> > Red Team?
> >
> > Beckman
> >
> > On Sat, 25 Sep 2021, Bruce Freshwater via Outages wrote:
> >
> > > From the source
> > >
> > > -bruce

veg·e·tar·i·an:
Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride