[Outages-discussion] [outages] Ping to Google 8.8.8.8

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Feb 9 23:57:40 EST 2022

On 2/9/22 19:23, Jay Hennigan wrote:

> I was joking, and I thought it was obvious from the next line.

No worries :-).

> It's IMHO not so much "don't care" as "don't know any better", coupled
> with the lack of a well-known public alternative designed for the
> purpose.

In 2022, anyone can be an expert. All you have to do is go online and
learn something new.

Folk have a shorter attention span now than they did before the Internet
was a thing. The opportunity to "know better" is always a click away.
It's just that unless there is a reason to care about knowing better,
most folk won't, because it is likely someone else's problem, who'll
make sure it doesn't become mine.

Mark.