[Outages-discussion] [outages] Ping to Google 8.8.8.8

Damian Menscher damian at google.com
Sat Feb 19 18:04:53 EST 2022

On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 2:46 PM Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> > From: "Damian Menscher" <damian at google.com>
>
> > To give a sense of scale, 8.8.8.8 receives a steady-state 12Mpps (roughly
> > one 10Gbps link) of ICMP ECHO_REQUEST traffic.  This is mostly from
> > millions of devices monitoring with one ping each second, but there are a
> > few top-talkers just leaving a ping -f running all day.
>
> I have that as 12,000,000 * 64 bytes = 768MB, an order and a half of
> magnitude
> less than you.  1GB/s.  No?

Bytes --> Bits. ;)  And then there's the small matter of framing....

Sure, it's a big hose, but this *is* Google we're talking about here; if
> their
> aggregate connectivity in the US isn't *well* over 1TB/s, I'll eat it.

Sure, we ate a 2.54 Tbps DDoS without incident back in 2017.  But that
wasn't a situation where people demanded we respond to every single attack
packet (for a service we don't offer!) or they'd post to the outages@
list....

> Where do we go from here?  Personally, I'd love to just turn it off for
> 24h
> > each April 1 to help identify all the broken devices that inappropriately
> > depend on it.  If this were an annual occurrence perhaps vendors would
> stop
> > producing abusive gear?  (Or perhaps they'd just ping additional
> unwilling
> > victims for redundancy....)
>
> Not a bad idea.
>
> Or we could roll ICMP to high-profile DNS resolvers into BCP38 edge
> blocking,
> though the website below has been up for like 10 years now, with little
> wide-scale uptake I can find... :-}

There's a dedicated cleanup effort over the past several months that is
bearing fruit.

Damian