[Outages] GPS Receiver Issues?

Gadi Evron ge
Thu Dec 7 15:14:57 EST 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 17:25 -0600, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
> > Wallace Keith wrote:
> >
> > > Did anyone have any brief alarms from GPS receivers around 19:32 UTC?
> > > Wondering if this might have been related to a solar event.
> >
> > Could be.
> >
> > http://www.n3kl.com/sun/noaa.html
>
> I don't know a thing abt solar events, but the graphs on that page
> suggest that something out of the ordinary is happening right now (see
> the Proton Flux graph).  Very interesting.

>From http://sec.noaa.gov/today.html :

3-day Solar-Geophysical Forecast issued Dec 6 at 22:00 UTC
Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to be high. Region 930
is expected to produce M-class flares and there is a good chance for
further X-class activity.

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be
unsettled to active on 07 - 08 December with a chance for periods of minor
or major storm conditions due to the recurrent coronal hole high speed
stream. Quiet to unsettled conditions are expected on 09 December. The
greater than 10 MeV proton event is expected to continue for at least
another 24 hours.