[Outages] 365main power interruption?

Alex Rubenstein alex
Tue Jul 24 22:56:03 EDT 2007

Quoted:

	"It was reported there were several brief outages in a row before
the power went out for good, so I bet the CPS (flywheel) systems weren't
fully back up to speed when the next sequential outage occurred. Since
several of these grid power interruption happened in a row, and were shorter
than the time required to trigger generator startup, the generators were not
automatically started, BUT the CPS didn't have time to get back up to full
capacity. By the 6th power glitch, there wasn't enough energy stored in the
flywheels to keep the system going long enough for the diesel generators to
start up and come to speed before switching over."

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is why you must program your power control
systems and/or auto transfer switches to be committed to transfer, even if
utility returns. This is almost ATS 101.

This same situation can occur in typical UPS systems -- several small hits
can cause a significant drain on batteries, but return quick enough to not
transfer a to-generator event.

You should:

	a) ensure a generator start, no matter how short the outage duration
	b) commit a transfer to generator even if utility has returned
	c) stay on generator for a minimum of (some period of time) -- 15
minutes, imho.

http://somafm.com/blogs/rusty/2007/07/san-francisco-power-outage-somafm.html