[outages] Wiki stuff

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jul 2 16:33:43 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:06:31PM -0700, Janet Sullivan wrote:
> One of the topics I would like to see on an outages wiki would be a list
>  of sites one could check for outages.  See
> http://www.bgp4.net/wiki/doku.php?id=links:network_status for an old
> example that never really got off the ground.   I don't really care
> where such a list lives - but I've wanted one more than once.  Does
> anyone have any good links?

No, not any more.  I used to have one, but that webserver crashed hard.

> What other kinds of topics would be good for an outages wiki?  At first
> I was thinking that major outages (undersea cables, etc.) could be
> posted & available via RSS, but I don't see that being kept up to date
> well in the long run.  Point being, someone would need to keep it up to
> date, and when things are really, really fubar, I imagine most of the
> people here will be busy with other things. ;-)

Wiki's are good for *knowledge capture*; they're not really much more
than a glorified, searchable scratch pad.  They, notably, are *not* a
database, a spreadsheet, a mailing list, a newsgroup, or a ticket
tracking system...

Honestly, probably the *best* thing to do is to make
outages-announce at outages.org be an *OTRS Instance*.  New announcements
will start tickets.  Comments on old ones will go the right place.

People who want to see status can monitor the OTRS.  People who want
announcements can subscribe to the list.

Yes, RT would probably work just as well...

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)