[outages] CNet: Amazon S3 experiencing 'elevated error rates' Sunday

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Jul 20 23:30:15 EDT 2008

 ===
Amazon.com's Simple Storage Service--a major component of its
online computing services--is apparently experiencing problems
Sunday.

The e-tailer's "Service Health Dashboard" reports that the S3
service in both the United States and Europe is experiencing
"elevated error rates."

The outage is causing CenterNetworks images to break, the site
reports, and SmugMug reports that "a large portion of the
photos and videos stored" on S3 are currently offline.

SmugMug seemed sympathetic to Amazon's woes and offered this
advice:

    Every component SmugMug has ever used, whether it's
    networking providers, datacenter providers, software,
    servers, storage, or even people, has let us down at one
    point or another. It's the name of the game, and our job is
    to handle these problems and outages as best we can.
 ===

	http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-9995301-93.html

( I am a smugmug client, and my site is down at the moment as well;
even the outage.mg page took over 30s to load.  The associated SmugBlog
posting with some more details is here:

http://smugmug.wordpress.com/2008/07/20/amazon-s3-outage-causes-smugmug-outage/
)

Cheers,