[outages] List comment

Dan York dyork at lodestar2.com
Tue Jun 24 13:32:52 EDT 2008

On Jun 24, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:44:22 EDT, Christian Blair said:
>
>> We don't need everyone's traceroute.
>> Hardly useful for others anyway unless they're your roommate.
>
> Actually, you have that backwards.
>
> If somebody posts a traceroute from a vastly different network
> location,
> that tells you something.

I think the question really is - is this list designed for *reporting*
and confirming outages?  Or is it designed for *diagnosing*/discussing/
troubleshooting outages?

If someone reports an outage, there is a degree of working with the
reporter to confirm the outage that is necessary.  (i.e. "AIM isn't
working for me" and others either confirming or saying that it does
work for them.)  There have, though, been a couple of threads where
this exchange has seemed to go on for a bit more than simple
confirmation and dived more into troubleshooting.

The "reporting/confirming" type of list is a lower-traffic kind of
list that's more announcement/alert-oriented.  The "diagnosing/
discussing" type of list could be a much higher-traffic list.    Both
are worthwhile types of lists to have... but they also may attract
different subscribers.

Based on a couple of comments I've seen here, I think some folks may
have signed up thinking they were getting the first type of list and
are less interested in the second type of list.  They may be more
interested in "alerts" and not interested in "discussion".

I don't have a great solution to offer... I think the "community" here
is probably too new to split into separate "alerts" and "discussion"
lists.  I also personally don't care which type of list it is.  But I
would suggest this difference in expectations is perhaps at the route
of the original comment and others that have been on the list.

My 2 cents,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork at voxeo.com
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free