[outages] List comment

Derrick Bennett derrick at anei.com
Tue Jun 24 15:28:13 EDT 2008

When I signed up for outages I was really hoping for something like what Sean Donelan used to do for Nanog. He had an occupation where he knew about every major cable cut or issue and reported it to the Nanog mailing list. I really miss that level of outage knowledge that we used to see.

I think that something like outages alert could work even with the current group. The issue is one of is it a real issue that affects a large enough group. For this I think the mailing list with the website could put in a voting idea. Using a footer in the message people could click that to vote and say this is a confirmed issue and select if it's minor or major and regional or larger impact. After a set number of votes hit then the system could send an email to outage-alerts which would be a much lower traffic but a much higher confidence list. That would allow outages to still discuss troubleshooting without imapct the blackberry and pager audience.

I have always looked for a way to be alerted to outages but only one's that truly are an issue. Maybe this is one way to accomplish that ?

Derrick