[outages] What happened to linuxbox.org?

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Fri Sep 19 17:48:44 EDT 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> - -- RLVaughn <RL_Vaughn at Baylor.edu> wrote:
>
>> Paul Ferguson wrote:
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Gadi sent a note about maintenance.
>>

> Right, but I thought that was supposed to happened this past
> Monday? ;-)

I appreciate everyone's concern. I understand the services run on
linuxbox.org are critical to the well-being of the Internet in some cases,
and a valued service in other cases.

linuxbox.org is a small box, located in Dallas TX, running behind a DSL
line. There was an anticipated downtime early Monday after about 2 years
on the air, which unfortunately was repeated yesterday for about 24 hours.

What are we doing running such services on a DSL line?

While the services run on linuxbox.org are well backed up with very strong
boxes in very strong locations with multiple upstream providers (the
backup list for MWP for example is hosted by Vixie), that little box has
served us well for over 10 years, and I have no intention of moving from
it. I find the use of a simple box behind a DSL line refreshing in today's
world where more and more bandwidth is thrown around.

That said, I do realize some of the services can no longer simply be
"backed up" and will have to be moved to one of our other "strong"
locations.

Thanks,

Gadi.