[outages] fibre cut near 200 Paul, San Francisco

Jeremy Chadwick outages at jdc.parodius.com
Thu Apr 9 18:06:18 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 04:42:53PM -0500, Larry Sheldon wrote:
> Bill Wichers wrote:
>> Most likely yes, but I was thinking mostly of the home-grown
>> troublemakers that have always been around. Somehow telecom seems to be
>> mostly immune from them.
>>
>> Since there really is no practical way to secure the outside plant (and
>> to the one that mentioned lockable manhole covers -- have a look at the
>> "key" to those sometime, there isn't very much security there), the only
>> thing we can do to keep it safe is to not make a big deal about where it
>> is or what can harm it.
>
> Some news reports suggest this may be and "inside" (so to speak) job.
>
> I have no facts, beyond what I have seen here.

CWA claims no involvement:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30139776/

A CWA member states "only a nut would do this":
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Fiber-Cut-Impacts-Silicon-Valley-101827

Video of the cable cut itself indicates thieves may have been out
"cutting for copper".  It's quite a clean cut (01:48 to 2:02):
http://cbs5.com/video/?id=48654@kpix.dayport.com

The video may also help someone determine the exact location and
which of the two cuts it was.