[outages] ultradns issues? unable to resolve amazon.com

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 23:24:26 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 8:14 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2009, at 7:52 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>> Meh, technicality. It acts like an outage to the geographic area affected, and it should be considered as such.
>
> Perhaps, however I'm sure their marketing folks will be happy to use the technicality to justify their 100% uptime claims (like every other anycast DNS provider)...

If I have to explain the event in person to a client CEO whose site
was down - and I did - then it's an outage.

If we're wonking about what happened here - which we are - it's a failure.

Not all failures are outages.  But this was an outage.

One cannot ignore the reality of marketing-speak to come.  But we
don't have to indulge it on operational lists.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com