[outages] Comcast Issues on Eastern Seaboard

Jeremy Chadwick outages at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Jan 6 16:04:29 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 04:01:18PM -0800, Jesse Fuller wrote:
> We have been getting a large number of calls from Comcast customers
> out of Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Virginia,
> Florida, etc., with connection issues to our servers in Japan. Got off
> the phone with Comcast NOC in Denver and they were not yet aware of
> any issues. Anyone heard of any issues on the Eastern Seaboard with
> Comcast starting at around 1/5/2009 @ 11:30 PST and continuing until
> the present?

No, but Comcast in the past 90 days has been working to remove a part of
their throttling infrastructure and implement rate-limiting if users go
over a certain percentage of their bandwidth for X number of minutes.
That got deployed yesterday (2009/01/04):

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/New-Comcast-Throttling-System-100-Online-100015

It's possible that some piece of that infrastructure on the east coast
is broken.  This is not fact, but speculation on my part, given the
timing of things.

A good forum to skim over would be DSLR's forum.  If there's an outage,
people there will usually complain within minutes:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast

For what it's worth, I play FFXI and live in California, and I've been
seeing problems even using POL for a few weeks now, where content in POL
won't load due to server network timeouts (it's very intermittent, but
it does happen).  It usually happens late at night, which I believe is
peak time in Japan.