[outages] Trouble with Network Solutions DNS Servers

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri Jan 23 16:03:44 EST 2009

      On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Kurt VanderScheer wrote:
    > Network Solutions is reporting ongoing problems since yesterday with some of
    > their DNS servers.
    > http://forums.networksolutions.com/announcements-f4-dns-issues-possible-impa
    > ct-to-your-ecommerce-site-t3433.html
    > <http://forums.networksolutions.com/announcements-f4-dns-issues-possible-imp
    > act-to-your-ecommerce-site-t3433.html>

This is the result of a large-scale UDP/53 DDoS.  My (unofficial)
understanding is that they're being flooded with properly-formed DNS
queries, indistinguishable from real traffic, which makes it very
difficult to discern DDoS sources, since there's no reason to think that
source addresses aren't forged.

                                -Bill