[outages] MySpace/CDN outage/problems/DDoS?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Mar 14 15:35:38 EDT 2009

Since about 1030EDT this morning, I've been noticing problems with MySpace,
which have also been reported to me by others in other areas and on other
eyeball networks.

Each of my correspondents reports having gotten spam from me via MySpace, and
I've gotten (the same) spam from them; something about signing up for a
trial account, and a url with the last m in .com replaced by %6d (which,
interestingly, FireFox 3 un-URLescapes, but does not actually parse correctly
afterwards.

Additionally, my view of a friend's friends list showed it empty, while his
view of his own friends list was populated as expected, and some of my friends
I cannot load the profile pages of at all.

Finally, most pages do not load completely; generally, FireFox appears to
hang while loading media files from MySpace's CDN.

I infer a targeted attack, but have no proof.  Anyone else see anything?

Cheers,
-- jra

    I wondered "Why is that Frisbee getting bigger?"  And then it hit me.