[outages] 4.2.2.x DNS?

Jeremy Chadwick outages at jdc.parodius.com
Mon May 11 15:15:25 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 01:48:54PM -0500, ChrisSerafin wrote:
> I have multiple clients and problems internally using 4.2.2.2 and
> 4.2.2.1 for DNS. My Nagios server was using these as well and has been
> throwing false postives since 5-8-2009.....
>
> Anyone else having problems?....

I assume no one took the time to explain to you that using either
of the Level 3 public recursive nameservers for long-term use is
considered rude and can possibly get you blocked from using them?

Please consider running your own caching nameserver, use your uplink
provider's DNS servers, or both (caching nameserver + forwarders
feature).

Both 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 behave fine, tested from 4 different physical
locations (two regions in northern California, Arizona, and Virginia):

$ dig @4.2.2.1 a www.google.com.

; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P2 <<>> @4.2.2.1 a www.google.com.
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.com.                        IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.com.         16742   IN      CNAME   www.l.google.com.