[outages] Rack Space DFW Connectivity

Tom Sands tsands at rackspace.com
Wed Nov 4 11:53:35 EST 2009

Hello Ed,

>> From: Ed Ramon <mr.ramon at gmail.com>
>> Date: October 24, 2009 9:17:38 AM CDT
>> To: "outages at outages.org" <outages at outages.org>
>> Subject: [outages] Rack Space DFW Connectivity
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I was wondering if I could pose a general question to all out there
>> who watch and or interact with RackSapce specifically their DFW data
>> center.
>>
>> It "feels" as if since the beginning of October our testing results
>> which we hit Rack Space with at a interval of one minute have been
>> coming back all over the place. Specifically we test out from Huston,
>> DC and Chicago

It would be really useful to us to be able to get this historical
information; before and after you noticed the problems.  The timing of
this could mean everything.

The Rackspace network in DFW is pretty extensive, and in addition to our
own internal monitoring, we run a fair amount of external monitoring as
well.  Granted, this is monitoring the network and not down to a single
customers configuration, but it's representative of network stability.

>> When I have called into them and chatted with their back bone teams I
>> hear the same answer of "everything looks good." Interesting enough I
>> now also hear some how Equinix being stated into their responses.

I would like to take this issue back to our ticketing system, as the
only ticket I see relating to connectivity problems really doesn't
provide any data to aid in troubleshooting, and without that data, the
only thing we have to go on is the general health of the network which
was indeed normal at that time.  This is likely more specific to you,
your configuration, or the paths that your external monitoring systems
are taking; otherwise a more broad network problem would create mass
complaints about connectivity from thousands of customers.  It is
important to us to analyze each issue uniquely, and not try to
generalize the problems you are seeing, though to do that we will need
more information.

Also realize that polling on 1 minute intervals across the Internet can
indeed produce some spotty results, however is there is a clear change
specific to October from multiple locations (that ideally are testing
multiple providers), then it can help us in further researching the
issue you are experiencing.

>> So questions for anyone out there is:
>> 1. Has anyone else seen the same oddities for Rack Space DFW?
>> 2. Does anyone know if Rack Space DFW recently peered their traffic
>> through Equinix DFW

Rackspace has peered in Equinix Dallas for over 5 years now.  In August
we upgraded that connection from 2Gbps to 10Gbps.  In general, our DFW
network has been consistently growing, adding capacity and providers at
a fairly regular interval.

>> 3. The most recent alert/blip we received was 10-23-2009 at 2:49AM
>> Eastern

Tom Sands
Chief Network Engineer
Rackspace Hosting