[outages] Level 3 down in Atlanta

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Oct 20 13:31:43 EDT 2009

It's possible the faulty device was an aggregation router and only those
customers connected to it saw the outage. Redundancy within Level(3)'s
network would not have helped customers with only a single connection
off the affected device. At some point it becomes the customer's
responsibility to redundantly connect to their upstreams (as in buy two
connections on different aggregation routers :-).

I didn't see any L3 issues up here in Detroit, so whatever outage L3 had
was apparently contained within that one POP or region. No cascade
failures I can see...

  -Bill