[outages] FB down?

Jeremy Chadwick outages at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Apr 23 19:43:35 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 07:08:14PM -0400, Keegan.Holley at sungard.com wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't RST's sent by the TCP stack in the
> webserver?  If you are recieving them it would imply that the network
> connection is fine, but you were sent to a server that is having issues.
> WIth the amount of traffic they recieve I would assume they use some sort
> of load balancing method.  Try clearing your DNS cache and closing your
> browser and trying again.

RSTs are sent by the OS (not the "webserver"; there is no TCP stack
inside a webserver) when the underlying userland application calls
close(2) on the descriptor (socket), the process exits, or otherwise
aborts/crashes in some way thus freeing the descriptor that handles the
network I/O.  Facebook's predominantly using Linux[1] which is why I
describe the above model.

Given Facebook's complexity, who knows what the problem was.  Load
balancer or layer 7 filter/re-writer (think F5) issues?  Back-end server
problems?  Software misconfiguration?  Doing burn-outs in an AMC Pacer
by sticking with PHP[2]?  Some developer deciding to just roll something
out in the middle of the day (as is quite common with social networking
sites these days)?  We'll probably never know.

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen FB's environment behave
erratically (easy to confirm with curl), close sockets abruptly, time
out during HTTP transactions, I'd own a series of small islands by now.

[1]: http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Facebook-Software-Stack
[2]: http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/358