[outages] facebook issues

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 18:22:57 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Chris Burwell <cburwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I always laugh when I see Facebook and Twitter outages appear on this
> list! The first thought that comes to my mind is usually "who cares".
> No offense intended to anyone. I do realize that there are some
> companies that have legitimate uses for these services, I just come
> from the opposite end of the spectrum where we block them.

According to Alexa rankings,  facebook.com has a reach of  30% of the
Internet users,   Google web search has a reach of 40%.
And yes,  companies have legitimate uses for facebook and twitter,  in
terms of marketing their wares, and finding/communicating with
vendors, it would be insane to ignore opportunities for free marketing
and PR  channels there.

Facebook, Wikipedia, MSN,  Myspace, Twitter,  Youtube, Yahoo,  Google
 _are_  the internet,  as far as joe sixpack knows.

Blocking any of those is almost unthinkable,  but  your network, your rules.
An outage of any of these is still likely to result in a report of
"issues"  from  end-users.

If you are an ISP,  people are buying your services so they can access these.
It is good for you to know if the sites themselves are actually having issues,
so you can prove their issues are not due to your network.

--
-J