[outages] Tidal Takeout Of Hawaiian TV Signal

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri Jul 30 18:41:36 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
--- frnkblk at iname.com wrote:
From: "Frank Bulk - iName.com" <frnkblk at iname.com>

http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/tidal-takeout-hawaiian-signal/
How did they route around the problem?

They probably bought temp service from another provider, such as Hawaiian
Telcom or Wavecom.  Hawaiian Telcom has interisland microwave backup in case
of things like this.  I don't think Oceanic does, but I am not positive on
that.

From: "Frank Bulk - iName.com" <frnkblk at iname.com>

SONET would be ideal. =)

The problem is laying diverse undersea fiber and still have an expectation of a ROI.  That is crazy expensive to lay and maintain.  It's all a mix of WDM and SONET transport.

It looks like both Wavecom and Oceanic were down and they have an agreement of some sort with HT in the case of situations like these.  So, it's all going over HT's fiber at this time.

I'm going to miss all the excitement now that I don't work for Hawaiian Telcom any more.  I start a new position on Kauai at the PMRF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Missile_Range_Facility) Monday..  ;-)

scott