[outages] VPN Issues Between Level3 and RR.com Around Atlanta?

JW outages-list at bedrox.com
Thu Jun 10 21:51:37 EDT 2010

Since early Tuesday morning, we have been suffering with the same issues
attempting to connect VPNs between hosts on Verizon FIOS Business class
(Tampa market) and hosts homed on Level3.  We are hearing similar complaints
from other FIOS users, both residential and business, in the Tampa Bay
region.

I'm also seeing noticeably slower throughput between our Road Runner and
FIOS endpoints.  The path outbound from Tampa Road Runner toward Verizon is
via Level3 in Atlanta.  (return path is via RR's tbone network through DFW)

VPN connections hang and never fully connect.  FTP sessions are dying
mid-session, DNS queries randomly fail to complete, and other badness.

It's bad enough we've had to statically route VPN and FTP traffic through
another provider to the destinations we need to hit.