[outages] Level 3 ATL

JW outages-list at bedrox.com
Thu Jun 10 21:59:15 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael R. Self" <michael.self at phonefusion.com>
To: <outages at outages.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:38 PM
Subject: [outages] Level 3 ATL

> Anyone noticing persistent packet loss in ATL between Level(3) and UUNET
> (Verizon/alter.net) or others?

As I mentioned in a separate thread, we are seeing frequent problems when
attempting to connect VPN endpoints on Verizon FIOS and hosts on Level3.
Traceroutes show we're reaching those hosts by VZ/UUnet ---> Level3 in
Atlanta.   VPN connections are mostly dying before the connection is fully
negotiated.  FTP sessions are also dying-- some never get fully logged in,
while others are dying mid-transfer.  We're also seeing DNS queries fail to
complete.

I am not 100% sure it's limited only to peering between VZ/UUnet and Level3,
but that's the situation we're having the most problems with at this point.

This has been going on since at least 5:00 a.m. Eastern on Tuesday.