[outages] how about an Outages Google Calander?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu May 13 12:54:15 EDT 2010

On May 12, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> On May 12, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Gadi Evron wrote:
>
>> The name is self-explanatory, and it can be a great way to track
>> and to parse upcoming outages.
>>
>> I think this is as good an idea as the outages@ list was when Vicky
>> first thought of it and wasn't sure whether to pursue it, and I'd
>> support any action to create it, once again.
>
> Since you said "upcoming", I am going to assume you mean planned
> outages, maintenances, etc.  If that is wrong, please correct me.

I'm sorry Patrick, but I think that you just are not thinking big
enough (and considering the health of the system as a whole) --
millions of folks rely on the Internet EVERY DAY and I don't think
that we should just be limiting ourselves to planned outages...

We should be focusing on the unplanned outages, and making sure that
we note them on the calendar at *least* a week before they occur, and
preferably much further in advance than that -- some of us (and you
are included in this) have large networks to deal with, and we need as
much advance warning as possible for unplanned outages.

> How do you pare it down to something useful?  If every network, or
> even 10%, hell 1% of the networks world-wide put data in there,
> every day will be a solid block of multiple outages in every time
> slot.

> You could organize by geography,

Wow, yeah, that would be cool, and would allow the large players to
schedule their unplanned outages so that they don't overlap in a
particular geography..