[outages] FiOS backbone overload in TPA?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Nov 10 21:04:54 EST 2010

I have a customer who has two sites connected by FiOS in Pinellas County,
FL -- one a new install -- and we seem to be seeing about a 7-8% packet loss
between the two.

If I flood ping from the new one to 4.2.2.1, 9 hops away, I don't drop a
single packets.

If I flood ping from the new one to the old one, at 56 or 1024 bytes, I drop,
over any appreciable amount of time, nearly exactly the same 7% of packets.

mtr also shows (if I leave it running long enough) 7% drop to that old site,
with *zero* loss at any of the 3 other hops.

We've had the person whose install that old site is call it in... and he
tells me that his "inside guy" says there's a master ticket up in this market
about packet loss in the backbone... but my first tier guys wouldn't admit
to it.

Anybody know anything?  VoIP is singularly intolerant of packet loss...

Cheers,
-- jra

    Start a man a fire, and he'll be warm all night.
     Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.